If you’ve purchased a tanzanite ring or tanzanite pendant, chances are you’ve done some research on this beautiful, rare gemstone. If that’s the case, you probably know that tanzanite is not as durable or scratch-resistant as, say, a diamond—but that it isn’t incredibly weak or flimsy either.
Yet despite its mid-range durability, you always want to be careful when you go about cleaning any fine jewelry, and tanzanite is no exception. So in this blog, I discuss how to clean your tanzanite jewelry at home, without the need of a professional jeweler.
Before I get into the home cleaning solution for tanzanite jewelry, let me first say that if your tanzanite ring or the stone is incredibly dirty or you really want it to shine like it did when you first saw it, you might want to consider taking it into a trusted jeweler, or a brick and mortar store. But the instances that require such a rigorous and thorough cleaning are few and far between, and in most cases, an at-home cleaning of your tanzanite jewelry will more than suffice.
How to clean your tanzanite jewelry at home
What NEVER to use: Never use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner or abrasive liquid. Tanzanite is exposed to extreme heat when it is first cut, and exposing it to any further, intense heat could crack the stone or warp the color.
First step: take off your jewelry – but NOT by the gemstone!
- Remove your jewelry, but by the band itself, not the gemstone.
- Use a soft cloth to wiggle the band from your finger (if a ring), or unclasp your necklace, etc.
Second step: Inventory these items:
- a plastic bowl or container
- distilled, room temperature water
- mild dishwashing liquid
- soft bristled toothbrush (the softer the better)
- soft cloth (microfiber ok)
Third step – prep:
- Fill the container with distilled water – make sure the water is at room temperature, and avoid tap water, as it can leave residue on any gemstone.
- Add a few drops of mild dishwashing liquid to the water and stir
Fourth step – clean:
- Soak jewelry in water for 10 minutes or so. Dip a soft-bristled toothbrush into the soapy water and scrub the stone gently. Don’t neglect the underside of the stone, or the small nooks and crevices in your tanzanite jewelry. Wash the entire jewelry piece in the water.
Fifth step – dry:
- Dry your tanzanite jewelry carefully with a soft cloth. Store tanzanite in an individual cloth bag when unworn, to preserve the beauty of the stone, and not scratch it against other jewelry
The higher quality your tanzanite, the more durable it may be. That’s why purchasing tanzanite jewelry from a reputable online seller, like tanzaniteringsHQ.com, is the smart choice for anyone looking for a special tanzanite ring or piece.